Congratulations 2019 Best Banter Contest Winners!
- Sara Whitney - Flipped Heart
- Anna DePalo - One Perfect Date
- Jayne Denker - Husband Material
- Margot Pierce - Heartline
- Lauren Accardo - Wild Love
- Meghan K. Stuart - Exist Again
- M.K. Stone - State of Never Being
- RR Taylor - Monster Crush
- Kathy Rich - Hunted
2019 Best Banter Contest is now closed.
Entry Period: August 1 - September 10 (midnight ET)
- Unpublished Contemporary
- Published Contemporary
- Unpublished Historical
- Published Historical
- Unpublished Otherworldly
- Published Otherworldly
(Otherworldly includes Paranormal, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Time Travel, and Steampunk)
Published and unpublished authors will be judged separately.
All entrants will receive a first-round critique with comments from published authors or RWA PRO members.
Finalists will have their work read and judged by a top industry agent or editor, and will receive a "Finalist" badge to display on their websites and social media pages.
Winners' names and entry titles will be listed in RWA's Romance Writers Report "Contest Winners" section. They'll also receive a "Winner" badge to display on their websites and social media pages.
What Is Banter?
- the playful and friendly exchange of teasing remarks."There was much singing and good-natured banter."
- talk or exchange remarks in a good-humored teasing way. 'The men bantered with the waitresses."
For the purposes of this contest, banter is the back-and-forth dialogue between two or more characters. It doesn't need to be between the hero and heroine; it can be a dialogue between secondary characters or a lead character with one or more secondary characters.
- First-round judges are RWA general, PRO, and PAN members.
- For any score given under three (3), judges are required to provide constructive feedback as to the reason for that score.
- Final round judges are agents and editors.
- Judges' decisions are final.
2019 Final Round Judges - The 2020 final judges will be announced soon.
- Leanne Morgena, Senior Editor, The Wild Rose Press - Unpublished Contemporary
- Tara Gelsomino, One Track Literary Agency - Published Contemporary
- Julie Sturgeon, CEO Editor - Unpublished Historical
- Mary Altman, Senior Editor, Sourcebooks Casablanca - Published Historical
- Kaycee John, Editor, The Wild Rose Press - Unpublished Otherworldly
- Ally Robertson, Editor, The Wild Rose Press - Published Otherworldly
Questions? Email email@example.com